Monday, January 16, 2012

Self censorship

You learn how to speak, how to think, how to write. There are certain "acceptable phrases."
And once you leave, these really jump out at you.

There is also a hyper-religious way of writing/speaking, that mimics the writing style of UBM's founder and Head teacher.

I can read old emails and see the same stilted writing style in my own writings.
For example:

Greetings beloved,
I hope this email finds you in peace. I have endured many trials of late, and it is the manifest grace of God that helps me to endure this cross. I covet your prayers.

I guess that's okay, if that is your voice, but it was not mine.
I am more likely to write,

Hi guys,
GBU. :) Hope you are well. Please keep me in prayer...I need it.

And yes I did the color thing. And used the ASV bible. And used the proper font- which is, in case you never noticed, Arial- in bold and italicized for Scripture. 




In case you never noticed, what small things we can do to fit in, and convey an image of righteousness.

I know make a conscious effort to use my own voice...trusting the Holy Spirit to speak through me, and to listen for His leading. BUT to affect another's manerisms...in order to be accepted by the group.
That is part of erasing your own identity to assume that of another.
And the only life we want to put on- is that of Jesus Christ....not of a man.

If you read religious writings of other cults, and small spiritual groups, you will notice the mannerisms and affectations of the followers. If you are in UBM, or recently come out...it may sound familiar to you.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you will notice brethren under David E. using words like faith by random, picking a verse as God speaking to them. You making a educated guess in what is supposed to happen or what is reported on the internet. Brethren should do more of obeying and doing God's words than following David E. specific books according to his gospel, especially the small group man child, and larger group bride.

    ReplyDelete

Any comments using abusive language will be deleted. Dialogue and opposing views are welcome.